What is MOBAGroove?
MOBAGroove is the first (and currently the only one as far as I know) working 4-Player MOBA style map for Wargroove online matches. The first version got released on February 18, 2019. It is inspired by traditional MOBA maps and contains lots of events and changed game mechanics.
You can download the current version (1.0.1) via Wargroove with the download code:
The original version 1.0 can be downloaded with the code: 5EU4QAZB
What important mechanics got changed / added?
- All four players (in general) only play their commander. Most other units are completely controlled by the AI.
- I basically abused the gold and HP system of the game to make an experience system for leveling.
- Ballista are the MOBAGroove equivalent of towers as known from other MOBAs.
- Ballista (and buildings) regenerate each player turn to be quiet hard to destroy in the early game.
- Ceasar's Groove sadly got useless in MOBAGroove, so it got replaced with an automatically activated ability. Make sure to stay next to the opponent's basic minions when you reach 100% groove ;)
- Soldiers (now the basic minion) under the control of a human player get converted to the team AI.
- Koji's bombs got low limited HP.
- If a barrack of a team gets destroyed, the opponent team gets a group of ultra minions.
- Recapturing barracks and keeping them "alive" until they reach 100% again converts them to the team AI and start recruiting minions again.
- You can now fight neutral enemies in camps to make a version of them fight for your team.
- There are boss arena- and team defense events after specific amounts of turns.
- The bosses you fight in the boss arena will fight for your team if your team wins.
- You can get special rewards in the defense events that can turn around the game quickly, even if you are underleveled. Make sure to use the mechanics for progress.
- A special very strong boss version of Emeric got added that will fight for your team and is invincible until his crystal got destroyed.
- You can transform into a Sky Rider for a couple of unit turns to travel a bit faster back to your lane.
- Commanders have at least 2 turns each round.
- Both team AI's have one double unit turn each round for situational control.
- Use the neutral minions if you happen to be on the losing side.
- Participate in the special events for special rewards and advantages.
- Don't use two support role commanders. Just don't. I made this mistake in my own verification game and was in verification hell for almost 4 hours because I left my second support commander underleveled since I only wanted to end it quickly. Turns out you can't destroy a regenerating stronghold with two support commanders under level 8 and without using the camps and special events.
- Maybe you want to consider if you really want to play a turn based, long MOBA game with your friends, if you still want them to be your friends. This map is a full-fledged MOBA map with tons of stuff in a basic turn based strategy game.
- Turned down building regeneration so it is not almost impossible to destroy a stronghold without way too much effort.
- Turned on fog of war after the first big Wargroove update since release.
- Add screenshots and thumbnails to project page for better explanations.
- Change a minor bug where you can fly above deep water and lose your commander and ability to play. Just don't fly above water. 🤷
- If Wargroove ever gets an update for a proper AI or some event editor functions to actually control units: improve the minion's pathfinding.
- Due to a bug with fog of war, it might be possible to lose your commander if a hidden enemy unit steps on your Sky Rider.
- Fog of war currently needs a turn to work properly after an arena event.
Because after looking through the already uploaded maps, there seems to be a little demand of a proper MOBA map. Just (except for a tiny but good 1vs1 map in there) no one really achieved it when I browsed through the database. In the community forums some people also seemed to strongly question if it is even possible to create a real MOBA like map. So I did it. Because I knew it's possible after 3 minutes of taking a look at the map editor. And here we are. It might not be perfect yet, but it works and is kinda complex. Not everyone makes a perfect thing on the first go. Give it some time and maybe some updates in the future and it will be close.